Frequently Asked Questions - National Showcase Series
Many players ask us questions about our website and rankings. The answers to 95% of these questions are listed here. If you do not see the answer to your question, please send us an email or contact us.
National Showcase Series
What is a National Showcase Tournament?
Tennis Recruiting is proud to promote the National Showcase Series. Tournaments in this series, known as National Showcase Tournaments, are USTA-sanctioned junior tournaments open to players from all sections. These tournaments are designed to give a broad range of players the chance to compete outside of their districts and sections - and these tournaments will count towards Tennis Recruiting rankings.
You can read more about our National Showcase Series by clicking here.
Why are you promoting a National Showcase Series?
Recent and upcoming changes to the USTA junior competition schedule have eliminated opportunities for players to compete in tournaments away from home. These National Showcase tournaments are intended to help fill that void.
These tournaments will also improve the quality of the rankings at TennisRecruiting.net. Our rankings use a head-to-head system, and so cross-play between different parts of the country is essential. With these National Showcases in place, we believe that the quality of rankings at Tennis Recruiting will be better than ever.
Why should I play in a National Showcase Tournament?
We think players should seriously consider playing in tournaments in our National Showcase Series. Here are some fast facts:
- All tournaments are USTA-sanctioned, so the format and rules will be familar, players should get adequate rest, etc.
- The tournament experience should be solid. These tournaments are run by well-respected tournament directors with a history of running strong, high-quality tournaments.
- These tournaments provide players the opportunity to compete in other parts of the country. The bulk of them take place on holiday weekends or over the summer - families can work these tournaments into their vacation plans.
- Results from these tournaments count towards Tennis Recruiting rankings.
- If a player wins a match in a National Showcase Tournament, he/she will earn National Player status on TennisRecruiting.net. When the player returns to their home district and/or section, he/she will help qualify other events for inclusion in the TennisRecruiting.net rankings.
- All players are guaranteed at least two singles matches.
Will playing in a National Showcase Tournament help my ranking?
That depends on which ranking you are talking about - TennisRecruiting.net or USTA.
As mentioned above, all events in National Showcase Tournaments are guaranteed to count towards rankings at TennisRecruiting.net.
However, these tournaments are not on the USTA National Schedule. All tournaments on the National Showcase Series are sanctioned by a section or district. You will only earn USTA ranking points if you come from that section or district.
Won't players chase points with these tournaments?
No. Rankings at Tennis Recruiting are head-to-head. Seeking out a weak field - or a strong one - will not provide any direct help the way it would in a points-based system.
We expect the bulk of players at a National Showcase to come from the tournament's home section. But players from other sections will help provide reference points for our rankings.
Why aren't there any National Showcase Tournaments in my area?
We are trying to get as many tournaments on the National Showcase Series as possible. These tournaments started in late 2012, so it will take time to roll them out.
So how do I get a National Showcase in my area?
If you are a tournament director and are interested in running a National Showcase tournament, please contact us - we'd love to hear from you.
If you are a player or parent, talk to tournament directors in your area and encourage them to contact us.